Brief History 0f The Department
Tingkhong College was established in 1972. Tingkhong College is affiliated to Dibrugarh University. It has received Deficit grant in 1987. It is a co-educatiional Arts College and Department of History has been an indispensible department of the college since 1982. A large number of students prefer History as one of the subject of their course every year. In the college honours course in History was started from 2005.Since then, a number of students have graduated with honours in History from this college and two students have got achievement as topper in BA final year 2014 and 2020 under Dibrugarh University. Similarly, a large number of students have graduated with History as a subject in their non-honours course.
Department of History believes in providing quality education and Co-curriculum activities to the students and also has vision for future placement of the students.
Bachelor of Arts (CBCS) ,Honours and Generic and Non- Honours Paper
Name of the Paper (Honours)
C1- History of India-I
C2- Social Formations and Cultural Patterns of the Ancient World
GE1-History of Assam 1228-1826
C3-History of India-II
C4- Social Formation and Cultural Patterns of the Medieval World
GE2- History of India from the Earliest Times to 1526
Semester – III
C5- History of India-III
C6- Rise of the Modern west-I
C7- History of India-IV
GE3- History of India 1526-1947
SEC1- Tourism and Travel Management
C8- Rise of the Modern West -II
C9- History of India –V
C10- History of India-VI
GE4.1-History of Modern Assam 1826-1947
GE4.2- History of Europe 1453-1815
SEC2- Tourism and Travel Management
C11- History of Modern Europe-I
C12- History of India-VII
DSE 501- Early and Medieval Assam till 1826
DSE 502- History of Modern Assam 1826-1947
C13- History of India-VIII
C14- History of Modern Europe-II
DSE 601- Social and Economic History of Assam
DSE 602- Historiography
DSE 603- History of USA 1776-1945
GC101- History of ancient India
GC201- History of Medieval India
GC301- History of Modern India
GC401- Early and Medieval Assam till 1826
DSE1- Rise of Modern West
GE5- Women in Indian History
DSE2.1- History of Europe 1815-1945
DSE2.2- Polity, Society and Economy of Modern Assam 1826-1947
GE6- Environmental History
Name of the Teacher
Date of appointment
1. Luhit Buragohain
2.Sujata Priyombada Konwar
M.A, M. Phil
Departmental Library has 250 books.
Student Selection Process for Major Courses:
For Honours course , Students are generally selected on the basis of merit, i.e. the marks they obtained in the Higher Secondary Course.
The Department adopts different teaching methods for students . They are –
Used methods of Teaching which are involves-
- Lecture Methods .
- PPT Classes.
- Outdoor Classes.
- Field Study
- Popular Talk
- Innovative methods: It implies the adoption or experimentation with new methods of learning with the students. It involves–
- Faculty exchange programme.
- Online / offline lecture programme covered by specialists on particular topics.
- Taking students to Educational Tour.
- To encourage the students to write on current themes.
- Aware the students about their social responsibilities in the class room.
Unit tests and class tests are conducted for both Major and Non- Major students and also for the students at the Higher Secondary level. Each Teachers takes classes individually along with Home Assignments. Moreover a sessional examamination is conducted by the College authority every year . After Examination , discussion is held on the question papers and correct their mistakes.
Results of the Department:
Students Wall Magazine : There is a wall magazine edited by the students that comes out from this department every year named –“ Puraton ’’. Here the students are encouraged to write articles on relevant topics so that they can develop their writing skills.
The Department also publishes a biennial printed Research Journal named “ Journal of Buranji Chora”
Extension Activities of the Department:
- The Department has organized a workshop on the topic “ How to Answer History Questions at UG Level” by Dr. Chandan Sharma, HoD, Department of History, Dibrugarh University.
- The Department has organized a Special talk on the topic “Michel Foucanlt and Trends in Social science Research” by Dr. Chandan Sharma, HoD, Department of History, Dibrugarh University as resource person. Dated on 20/01/2022.
Name of the students
Hatiputa JB School, Dhuburi
Sarujani Block LP School
Tingkhong Model Academy
Tingkhong jatiya Vidyalaya
Tudi Jatiya Vidyalaya
Kadamani High School
Rajgarh Junior College
Kamar Chuk L.P.School
Macleocts Farmacitical Work
Lidu tea estate
R.D Junior College
Silamari LP school
Chichia Tiniali L.P.School
Tingkhong Post Office
Various academic activities :
- Remedial Classes for the Honours students of the department.
- It has plans of organizing national level seminar, lecture series etc.
- The department has plans for creating a fund to help those students who are from weak financial background having Honours in Political Science.
- The Department plans to increase the number of books in the department library.
- It has plans for collaboration with the department of History of other nearby colleges for exchanging ideas.
- It has plans to organize awareness programmes in the villages nearby regarding different issues i.e. etc.