Department of Economics, Tingkhong College, Tingkhong
- 1. Name of the Department: Economics
- Year of Establishment: 1987
About Department of Economics: The Covid-19 pandemic has proved the importance of Economics around the world and so the local region where the college is situated i.e. Tingkhong. Tingkhong College was established in the year 1972 to cater need of the rural students.The Department of Economics was established in the year 1987 and since then, both honours and non-honours course was started in the department. Since then a number of students have graduated with Economics as honours from this college. It is the pioneer of development in this region. The department provides education both in Assamese and English medium. The department has an intake capacity of 20 students, and the department has 3 sanctioned posts. However, in the year 2020, the intake capacity was raised to 30. At present, there are two permanent faculty members and two contractual faculty members in the department and one candidate has been selected for the remaining sanctioned post in the department. The department economics follows the syllabus of its affiliated institution i.e. Dibrugarh University and provides additional materials depending upon the changing needs of the students into consideration. The department also provides quality education to the Higher Secondary Students. The members of the department give their best to provide quality education to the students who particularly belongs to rural tea garden areas. The members keep themselves updated about changing aspects of Economics at the regional, National and International levels.
Bachelor of Arts (Both Honours and Non-Honours)
The department offers the following courses in the Honours Course under the CBCS system of Dibrugarh University.
B.A. Honours/Non-Honours Programme in Economics Under CBCS provided by
Dept. of Economics, Tingkhong College
Course Title and Code
Course Title and Code
Generic) Course Title and Code
Principles of Microeconomics-I
Mathematical Methods for Economics-I
Principles of Macroeconomics-II
Mathematical Methods for Economics-II
Essentials of Macroeconomics
Principles of Macroeconomics -I
Statistical Methods for Economics
Essentials of Microeconomics
Principles of Macroeconomics-II
Money and Financial Markets
- Number of Faculty Members: 4 (Four)
Date of Appointment
Mr. Mridul Borgohain
M.A. , M.phil
Mr. Saurish Bhattacharjee
M.A., NET, Pursuing Ph.D.
Mrs. Rubi Gowala
Assistant Professor (Contractual)
Mrs. Panchurika Changmai
Assistant Professor (Contractual)
In the General Library, the number of books of Economics is 1498. Besides, the Department of Economics has a library of its own. The number of books in the Department Library is around 148.
Enrollment and Selection of Students
For major course, students are generally selected on the basis of marks secured in Economics in the H.S. Examination. Normally, 50% is the cutoff mark to select the students for major course. Moreover, while selecting the students for major course, the marks obtained in mathematics in HSLC and HS is taken into consideration.
The department adopts different teaching methods for students. They are:
- Classroom Teaching
- PPT classes
- Students’ Seminar
- Group Discussion
- Sessional Examination
Apart from that, the department also applies some innovative methods such as faculty exchange programs, Taking students to the field tours, encouraging them to write on current issues, making them aware about their social responsibility by different means, teaching them how to conduct statistical surveys etc.
Unit test are held for both Honours and Non-Honours students and also for the students at the Higher Secondary Level. Each Individual teacher also takes classes and assigns home tasks. Besides, Sessional examinations are conducted by the college authority every year. Mistakes are corrected and answer scripts are returned to the students.
Achievements of the Department
- 4th February, 2022: Educational Tour to Jiyadhal, Dhemaji by Department of Economics. The socio-economic conditions of the flood victims from Jiyadhal river was studied statistically. The teachers of the department also collaborated and the report of the visit is yet to be finalized.
- 8th October, 2019: Educational Tour to Pasighat, Arunachal Pradesh. A socio-economic survey was conducted on the population of pasighat using mathematical and statistical tools. Report is not finalized yet.
- 19th October, 2014: Educational Tour to Charaideo was conducted. A survey was conducted on demographic profile of the Adivasi people living in the visited area.
4.11th December, 2017: Educational Tour to Coal Mine of Ledo was conducted. The effect of Coal mine over local people and on their living is studied.
Students Achievements in Competitive Examinations
- Naina Dutta, enrolled in M.A. Course in Economics, Dibrugarh Univeristy (2019 Batch)
- Abinash Gogoi, Appointed in Assam Police, Government of Assam (2018 Batch)
- Kanaklata Gogoi, qualified TET and appointed as teacher under govt. of Assam (2018 Batch)
- Malabika Gogoi, qualified TET and appointed as teacher under govt. of Assam (2016 Batch)
- Juthika Borah, qualified TET and appointed as teacher under govt. of Assam (2015 Batch)
- Purnananda Gogoi, qualified TET and appointed as teacher under govt. of Assam (2015 Batch)
- Khamseng Gogoi, qualified TET and appointed as teacher under govt. of Assam (2015 Batch)
- Issues of Rural development in Assam, 22nd September, 2018 conducted by Department of Economics, Tingkhong College
Invited Guests Speakers
- Dr. Deb Kumar Chakraborty, Professor, Department of Economics, Dibrugarh University, Dibrugarh Assam
2.Dr. .Manokhi Gogoi, Assistant Professor, Department of Education, Dibrugarh University
Alumni of the College Placed in the different Position under Government of Assam
- Dipanjali Borah, Asst. Professor, Tingkhong College
- Ranjit Gogoi, UDA, AG Office, Assam Government
- Diganta Kumar Khanikar, Associate Professor, Naharkatiya College
- Bijoy Gogoi, Field Assistant, OIL
- Jintu Saikia, Office Assistant, Tingkhing Tea Estate
- Prohat Gogoi, OIL
- Dina Gogoi, Teacher (Rtd)-1972
- Golap Gogoi- UDA (Rtd.)-Tingkhong College, 1972
- Dilip Borah- Subject Teacher, Rajgarh Junior College
- Monuj Sharma, Subject Teacher
- Mintoo Deka, Field Assistant, PWD, Assam Government
- Devakrishna Bokatial, APS, Security Officer, ONGC
- Kamcheng Gogoi- TET teacher
- Purnanda Gogoi, TET teacher
- Jibon Borah, Assistant Teacher, Konwari Gaon High School
- David Gogoi, OIL
- Akash Gogoi, TET teacher
- Juthika bOrah, TET teacher
- Haren Rajkonwar, Assistant Teacher
- Ashok Gogoi- Principal, Tingkhong Higher Seceonday
- Sanjib Baruah, Welfare Officer, Tea Estate
- Ajit Gowala, Assistant Teacher
- Kiron Gogoi, Assistant Teacher
- Sibaprasad Bora, Assistant Teacher, Aghunibari Tea state
- Dulal Borah, OIL
- Tapan Khanikar, welfare officer, Khowang T.E.
- Puspa Talukdar, TET teacher
The Department publishes a magazine where both the teachers and students contribute literary work. Here, the students are encouraged to write articles on relevant topics so that they can develop the skill of writing. They are mostly encouraged to ponder abour recent happenings in the arena of Economics and to interpret it in their own way. This way it is hoped that they can develop an independent thinking abd are able to analyze social happenings from the point of view of social scientist.
Proceedings of the Departmental Meeting held during the year 2019-21
Departmental Meeting held on 2019
A departmental meeting was held on 5th February, 2019 was presided over by the HoD, Mr. K.K. Gogoi. In the meeting discussion held on internal assessment for the next academic session. As a mechanism of internal assessment, Group Discussion and seminar presentation on current budget was given importance. Furthermore, for the proper running of the classes, it was determined that a contractual teacher in Mathematical Economics be hired. Furthermore, the HoD urged the department’s professors to attend lessons on a regular basis and maintain their personal diaries up to date.
A Departmental meeting held on 9th August, 2019 was presided over by the HoD Mr. K.K. Gogoi. The meeting basically concentrated on the upcoming CBCS batch and their course structure which was the 1st batch to be commenced in the College under Dibrugarh University. The Syllabus of Economics in the CBCS batch highly concentrates the mathematical part of Economics. Moreover, the first semester consists of Mathematical Economics. Thus, a roadmap is prepared to guide the students coming from non-mathematical background. Moreover, discussion also held regarding the advertisement of vacant sanctioned post in the department and decision was taken to conduct the selection process at the earliest considering the need of the department. Discussion on separate strategy was also held to achieve full pass percentage and regarding the classes of Non-Honours and Generic Course. Moreover, separate discussion to was also taken place on the recruitment of Assistant Professor in the Department.
Departmental Meeting held on 2020
A Departmental meeting in online mode (Google Meet) held on 12th March, 2020 was presided over by the HoD Mr. K.K. Gogoi. Discussion was taken place regarding the classes in virtual mode amidst the Covid-19 pandemic. The meeting laid stress on the different mechanisms through which basic knowledge of Mathematics can be imparted to the CBCS students in virtual mode. Moreover, decision was also taken regarding the lectures to be delivered to the final semester students on the syllabus of National Eligibility Test (NET) particularly to the students interested in academics. Importance was also given to the different mechanism of internal assessment for the greater good of the students amidst the pandemic. Discussion was also taken place regarding the approval of the new incumbent in the department.
A Departmental meeting held on 12th August, 2020 was presided over by the HoD Mr. Mridul Borgohain after the imposition of lockdown in the entire country. A new candidate named Mr. Saurish Bhattacharjee joined the department. So a new plan for taking forward the classes was discussed. Apart from that how to carry forward the classes in a combination of offline-online mode was also found an important place in the discussion. Moreover, discussion took place regarding carry forwarding the classes of Higher Secondary Students. Since majority of them don’t have smart Phones, discussion also held regarding different ways through which materials can be provided to the students. Mr.K.K. Gogoi who got retired also remembered in the meeting for his years of dedication and services in the department as well in the college.
Departmental Meeting held on 2021-22
A Departmental meeting held on 3rd February, 2021 was presided over by the HoD Mr. Mridul Borgohain in online mode. Discussion took place regarding conducting online lectures by research scholars for the benefit of the students particularly on the issues of Macroeconomics and Mathematical Economics. Discussion took place regarding conducting examination in online mode. Since classes were going on in online mode, the HoD proposed that classes are to be imparted in Google Scholar and Zoom platform and Google forms can be used to provide questions to the students. For the benefit of the students, Saurish Bhattacharjee commented on providing e learning materials such as e-books to the students.
A Departmental meeting held on 17th February, 2022 was presided over by the HoD Mr. Mridul Borgohain. Two new contractual teachers joined the department named Miss Rubi Gowala and Miss Panchurika Changmai. The departmental meeting laid stress on conducting a workshop on Econometrics particularly for the 4th semester students since its a new paper to be faced by the students and no previous year question papers were available. Decision is taken regarding providing lectures to the students on Econometrics only in online mode. Moreover, the HoD proposed to conduct online lectures by the research scholars for the greater benefit of the students.
- The department plans to get involved in more creative activities vis-à-vis the Chamber of District Industries and Commerce
- The department is planning to organize a national level seminar based on Indian Economy.
- The department is planning to develop a digital library and increase the number of books so that it meets the current need of the students.
- The department is planning to organize workshops on Econometrics and statistical tools to create a research mindset among the students of Economics. Moreover, the department is planning to introduce departmental magazine which will help the students to some extent.