Fourty nine Years Of Experience
Tingkhong College was established on 1st September, 1972. It is the first institution of Higher Education established in the 119 Tingkhong Legislative Assembly Constituency of Assam aiming at offering quality education to its students in fullfillment of all the specifications laid down by the University Grants Commission, Dibrugarh University (the affiliating university), the Government of Assam and the National Assessment and Accreditation Council, Bangalore (NAAC). The college is now prepared to welcome NAAC peer Team for the second visit(Cycle-2) for its assessment and accreditation.
Our Vision Mission:
The of vision of Tingkhong college authority and the stakeholders is to build up the college as a centre of excellence in Higher Education and to equip and empower students with knowledge, skill, competence and creativity to face the global challenges.
With this vision, the institution sets its befitting mission as follows:
- To equip and empower students with relevant knowledge, skill, competence and creativity to meet the global challenges.
- To achieve innovations in teaching-learning, research and extension activities.
- To create awareness on value education, cultural heritage and environment.
- To promote the knowledge output for development of the society.
- To achieve inclusive growth for optimal socio-economic change.
Moreover, the goals and objectives of Tingkhong College as mentioned in the Memorandum of Association are as follows:
- To spread the light of higher education in the vast rural area of Tingkhong through the development of the college.
- To provide higher education at an easy access to the needy poor rural students, specially the girls students from tea gardens communities of the locality.
- To provide adequate facilities to the students of the college for all round development of their capabilities in physical, intellectual and cultural field. It is expected direction to achieve its goals and objectives, combining academic excellence with a search of social awareness. The institution has been trying to transfer the mission into reality by transacting the course curriculum and achieving both the scholastic and non-scholastic works while imparting the curriculum.
With the vision to achieve excellence in higher education, empowerment through knowledge, inclusive growth for socio-economic change, sustainable development and preparing students for facing global challenges the college attempts to explore and promote their competence and creativity through teaching-learning and extension activities .In these attempts includes adoption and promotion of knowledge output, women’s education, optimum use of infrastructural activities available in the institution , participations of all the stakeholders in the development of the institution , creation of awareness of value education, cultural heritage and healthy atmosphere for teaching and learning.
The IQAC of Tingkhong college was constituted on 07/07/2007 after the first(Cycle-1) assessment and accreditation by NAAC Peer Team in 2005. Our college was accredited with C+ grade. The IQAC of the college has been trying to develop quality assurance mechanism since its inception. A brief survey of the academic and co-curricular activities criterion wise has been given below:
Tingkhong college is affiliated to Dibrugarh University, Assam. Its offers BA Semester programme in seven subjects i.e., Assamese, English, History, Economics, Political Science, Sociology and Education. Except English the other subjects offer both Major and Core programmes.
The college provides ample opportunities to the backward classes including SC/ST and students from Tea Gardens. Some students have achieved brilliant results in their examinations. This year, Ms. Champawati Gogoi secured the First Class First position in History Major in the BA Final (6th semester) Examination, 2014.
The Affiliating University provides entire course syllabus, duration of the session, the date of examinations, question papers, etc.
The institution encourages the faculty members to go for research oriented works, attend RC/OP in their respective subjects, participate national and international seminar, conference, workshop etc. to present their research papers. The college also encourages them to publish these papers.
For effective curriculum delivery and classroom transaction, all the teaching departments chalk out their own lesson plans for both the general and major course which includes lecture hours, topic to be taught and other co-curricular activities to be conducted during the academic session and the progress is regularly monitored by the heads of the departments.
On the basic of theoretical knowledge, socio-economic surveys, project works etc. are conducted by the students. At the end of every academic session course completion overviews and review of examinations result at different levels are done by the authority in the academic committee meetings. The college encourages the faculty members to innovative teaching-learning process through seminars, camps, symposiums etc. in collaboration with NGOs like Asom Lekhika Sanstha, Anchalik Chatra Santha, industries like OIL, Tea Industry , Bank and LIC and District Administration ,District Medical Department etc.
Being an affiliated college of the Dibrugarh University the institution strictly follows the curriculum formed by the university. The institution has introduced a good number of certificate courses in (i) Certificate Course in Yoga (ii) Certificate Course in Recitation (iii) Certificate Course in Music (iv) Certificate Course in Satriya Dance (v) Certificate Course in Personality Development and Leadership Training (vi) Certificate Course in Physical Education. The institution plans to start of Post Graduate programmes in Assamese, History, Sociology and Political Science near future. The branch of Krishna Kanta Handique State Open University (KKHSOU) of the college produced the first batch of graduate (BA) this year (2014)
The institution publishes its update prospectus annually. Information viz. admission procedure, fee structure, library facilities, attendance rules, course offered, financial and student support services etc. are provided clearly in the prospectus. The college publishes an annual magazine which disseminates various information viz. infrastructural establishments students activities, academic achievements etc. The college has also its own website ‘www.tingkhongcollege.edu.in’.
During 2010-11, four ST students received scholarship of Rs. 15,355/- and during 2011-12, Thirteen ST students and Three SC student received Rs. 55,885/- and Rs. 10,185/- respectively. Scholarship is given to the SC/ST/OBC and economically weaker section from the State Government. The college provides free admission to the desiring and deserving students.
Special coaching and guidance are provided by the institution in sports and games. There are provisions for providing financial assistance and internal facilities to such students. Health camps are organized by the college to create awareness about health among the students.
The students counseling and Career Guidance Cell provides guidance to the students.
The faculty members also personally provide career guidance to the students.
In skill development, spoken English class are taken, computer training is imparted and free coaching in football, volleyball, sepaktacraw is given to the students. There are provisions for remedial and tutorial class for the slow learners.
The institution collects feedback from each batch of outgoing students. The information data supported by them are used for improvement of teaching-learning practices and the infrastructural development.
In the field of publication, the college publishes its wall magazine ‘Matir Swapna’ and magazine ‘Tingkhongian’. Moreover the Dept. of History publishes a research journal ‘Journal of Buranji Chora’ and News Letter ‘Pera Kagaz’. Dept. of Assamese publishes a journal ‘Abhiyatra’. This year all departments have published their own wall magazines.
The college has an elected body of Students’ Union under the presidentship of the Principal.
The Alumni Association of the college keeps records of the alumnae and keeps on contact with them.
Recommendation of the NAAC Peer Team in the First Cycle of Assessment and Accreditation, Visit dates: 28th and 29th December 2005
The NAAC peer team visited Tingkhong college on 28th and 29th December, 2005 made the following recommendations and the college authority made their best efforts to work accordingly.
1. Yoga classes may be started for the physical and mental development of the student.
• A certificate course in Yoga has already been started.
2. System of written assignments for the students may be introduced.
• This system has been in vogue since 2011.
3. Students’ feedback system of teachers may also be introduced.
• Students’ feedback system has been in vogue since 2005.
4. Inter-disciplinary teaching and research may be encouraged.
• Inter-disciplinary teaching has been prevailing since 2005 in two subjects i.e. Environmental Studies and Skill-base. Inter-disciplinary research has also been encouraged.
5. The use of Audio-visual systems may be introduced to improve the standard of teaching.
• The audio-visual system has been introduced from this year (2014).
6. The system of teaching-counseling may be introduced by dividing the students into groups and planning them under each teacher for guidance.
• This system is prevailing. A group of 12-15 students has been given under one teacher for his/her personal guidance and observation.
7. Teachers be encouraged to register for Ph.D. degrees and for pursuing other research works.
• A research culture has been created in the institution. Two faculty members have been awarded Ph.D. and Nine members have been awarded M. Phil. Degree in the post-accreditation period. Presently three faculty members are pursuing Ph.D course.
8. Teachers may be motivated to undertake publication in referred and professional journals.
• A good number of research papers are published in the books and journals having ISBN and ISSN.
9. Teachers may also be encouraged to become members of their respective professional bodies.
• Most of the teachers are life member/members of NEIHA, NEIPA, NEIEA etc.
10. A source mobilization committee may be introduced for the development of the college.
• A committee for this purpose has already been constituted.
11. The existing facilities of Games and Sports may further be strengthened.
• These are already strengthened. Coaching camps for Football, Volleyball, Kabaddi, Taekwondo, Sepak tacraw are organized by the college.
12. Number of books in the library may be increased. At least one research journal may be procured for each department.
• The total number of books exceeds 9000. Research journal like, ‘International Journal of Tai Studies and Research’ has been procured. The Dept. of History starts publishing a research journal (Journal of Buranji Chora) of its own from the current year(2014).
13. Lecture by resource persons from the neighboring colleges and the university may be arranged.
• Resource person/Guest faculty have been invited by the departments like History, Education and Sociology to their departmental seminars.
14. Initiative may be taken to start commerce section.
• Initiative has been taken to start Commerce section.
15. The college may introduce NCC units both for boys and girls.
• Necessary arrangements have been made.
16. Professional and vocational self-employable certificate courses like tailoring, carpentry, fine arts, music, handicraft and weaving mushroom cultivation, tea technology and agricultural based courses may be introduced in phases.
• Certificate courses of dance and music are started. Proposal for introducing tea-technology has also been taken.
17. The extra land in the campus may be utilized for small tea gardens.
• Proposal for utilization of the extra land in the campus has been taken.
Moreover, in the post-accreditation period, the college authority has taken the measures for infrastructural development of the institution which are stated in this SSR and in the AQARs.